The scientific sessions form the main part of the congress. The programme covers topics that are highly relevant within the African region and further afield and provide a flavour of the latest research in the field of epilepsy. Sessions will feature presentations from leaders in the discipline, including lectures by world-renowned experts.
The Scientific and Organising Committee has endeavoured to create an appealing and diverse programme from the numerous proposals submitted by ILAE and IBE Chapters and other experts.
Sessions cover the following topics:
- Treatment gap
- Epilepsy through the ages
- The challenges of management
- Epilepsy, society and cultural aspects
- Capacity building and creating alliances in Africa
- Prevention is better than cure
- Current translational and clinical research – implications for patient care
- Epilepsy in the community
- ILAE Young Epilepsy Section (ILAE-YES) Town Hall Meeting
- Social inclusion of persons with epilepsy
Full details of the session programmes may be found in the SESSIONS section below.
Complementing the programme there will be several focused workshops. The ILAE Commission on Pediatrics will hold a workshop on ‘Research in children with epilepsy in Africa – current research practice and challenges to undertaking research’ and the IBE will run a Training Session on the afternoon of 24 August. Further details may be found below.
In addition, an IBRO course will take place pre-congress, on 21 August.
Click on the image below to view the programme schedule.